Monday, June 29, 2009

Mr. Lakshman Kadiragamar's Lesson

In 2005, almost fifty years after he left Oxford, Mr. Lakshman Kadiragamar's portrait was unveiled at the Oxford Union. This was a great honour bestowed by the Oxford Union on only 15 others in its 183 year history.


Mr Kadirgamar had this to say about that event;

'......I would like to, if I may, to assume that I could share the honour with the people of my country, Sri Lanka . I had my schooling there, my first university was there, I went to Law College there and by the time I came to Oxford as a postgraduate student, well, I was relatively a matured person. Oxford was the icing on the cake … but the cake was baked at home ......(applause) .'

This is indeed true. People appreciate only the icing on the cake not where it was baked first.

No comments: